[geeks] *sigh*

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Mar 27 18:43:27 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 12:29:58PM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> velociraptor wrote:
>> Thanks to Outlook people no longer know what "set precedence = junk"
>> means, either, nor the option not to send multiple vacation messages
>> back to the same address. :-(
>>
>> I know about Samsung Contact, but does anyone know of an OSS MAPI client?
>
> Is it not the case that Evolution be made to do MAPI?  Judging by some
> of the experiences of Ceva's admins in Israel, it's buggy, but it's there.

(Evolution + Exchange-connector from Ximian^WNovell)

Its not really MAPI, its closer to doing the same XML exchange that
happens between OWA and the Exchange server when you're using IE.  The
first hint of this is that when configuring the connector, you point it
at the OWA URL.  It works, but it gets pokey when you're looking at a
folder with a lot of messages in it, and it tends to lock up from time
to time (often enough that the "kill `ps -aux| grep [e]vo`" is easily
found in my shell history).

In several ways, I prefer it to Outlook2k3, for some things, its faster
(searching a given folder), but slower when you actually get down to
moving lots of messages around.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org