[geeks] *sigh*

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Mar 28 09:28:26 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:31:26AM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:43:27 -0600, Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org>wrote:
>> (Evolution + Exchange-connector from Ximian^WNovell)
>>
>> Its not really MAPI, its closer to doing the same XML exchange that
>> happens between OWA and the Exchange server when you're using IE.
>> The first hint of this is that when configuring the connector, you
>> point it at the OWA URL.  It works, but it gets pokey when you're
>> looking at a folder with a lot of messages in it, and it tends to
>> lock up from time to time (often enough that the "kill `ps -aux| grep
>> [e]vo`" is easily found in my shell history).
>
> I was under the impression that it was not free, but maybe I am
> mistaken.

It used to be pay-ware, but when Novell bought out Ximian, they gave it
away for free.

> I may try it, but I am also intending to try the free implementation
> of NoMachine NX and see if it works a little better than TightVNC.
> I'm trying to get the creaky SunBlade to the point where I can use
> it 95% of the time, as there is no way for me to effectively use 2
> machine in my cube without coughing up cash for my own USB KVM.  I
> gave up my trials with *BSD, as the USB support on the Sun Blade was
> less than ideal (kernel panics and keyboard input so sluggish on the
> console as to be a reminder of <1200 Baud days), and instead installed
> Gentoo.

If you have 2 displays and only one keyboard and mouse, give synergy a
shot (synergy2.sourceforge.net).

>> In several ways, I prefer it to Outlook2k3, for some things, its
>> faster (searching a given folder), but slower when you actually get
>> down to moving lots of messages around.
>
> Adding "Lookout" to Outlook makes searching a hell of a lot easier;
> you can even use it to index your HD, too, and public folders.  I
> hate to pimp M$ software (they bought the company that originally
> wrote it), but this one is decent, and makes Outlook marginally more
> bearable.
>
> http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/

A few of my friends have given NEO (www.emailorganizer.com) great
reviews. (oversimplified) Its a shell on top of Outlook, gives you a
powerful search interface, helps you organize your mail, etc.  It does
NOT mess with anything underneath the covers, if you don't like it, you
uninstall it, your mail is still all there, nothing lost.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org