[geeks] Origin2000 Transportation

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Mar 25 04:57:20 CST 2005

> Hey all,
>     Any tips or tricks on transporting an Origin2000? The
> plan is to put it in a van or pickup truck(my rent-a-car
> options). Uhauls etc.

If it stands up, it will be very unstable in a pickup or van. If you
cannot afford a proper moving truck then you should lay it down. Remove
disks and put them up front in the cab for a softer ride. Lay the system
down in such a way that gravity will push cards into their bus
connectors (not pull them out or pull sideways).

Push the system ALL the way to the front of the bed. There is no way you
can lash it down well enough to keep it from sliding forward the first
time you hit the brakes. Accelerate slowly, turn slowly and keep space
between you and the vehicle ahead. If you do anything harsh with the
truck you might have a problem with your load shifting.

Bring many sizes of timbers with you. 2X4 and 4X4 will probably do. You
may have to prop the system up to make it lay flat and not rock.

Vibration is your enemy. Padding helps. Blankets, foam mattress pads and
styrofoam building insulation blocks work. Bumps in the road are a bad
thing too, avoid them.

Good luck!