[geeks] Origin2000 Transportation

Wai-Sun Chia waisun.chia at hp.com
Fri Mar 25 22:03:07 CST 2005

James Fogg wrote:
>>Hey all,
>>    Any tips or tricks on transporting an Origin2000? The
>>plan is to put it in a van or pickup truck(my rent-a-car
>>options). Uhauls etc.
>

> If it stands up, it will be very unstable in a pickup or van. If you
> cannot afford a proper moving truck then you should lay it down. Remove
> disks and put them up front in the cab for a softer ride. Lay the system
> down in such a way that gravity will push cards into their bus
> connectors (not pull them out or pull sideways).

If I were you, I'd probably remove all the cards/modules too. Generally
as a guideline, remove everything that is meant to be removed for
maintenance. Not familiar with SGI systems, but high-end DEC systems had
PSUs that you can slide out and be removed.

Without PSUs, cards/modules, and disks, all you're left is just the
chassis and the possibility of unrepairable damage will be reduced
significantly.

And the mattress is a good idea :-)
Bring lots of thick rope, you'll need them to lash the palette to the
truck bed.
In this case, rock and roll is your enemy...

Good luck.
/wai-sun

Good luck.