[geeks] OSX Server

Olaf Mersmann olafm at kimberly.tako.de
Tue Mar 15 13:29:09 CST 2005

Hi Charles,

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
*snip*
> Ah, extended use I can see, although I'd feel better if they could do
> more.
>
> A lot of people use only laptops on their desk, and quite a few are on
> all the time when they aren't mobile.
>
> They use external keyboard/mouse/monitor setups with their laptop so
> they can avoid having a desktop unit.
>
> It would be interesting to see some data on how long setups like this
> last.

I've been using a PowerBook (one of the 15" 800MHz models) in setup
similar to the on you describe for about 2 years now. Apart from the
right hand side fan wear (you can really tell by the sounde, that the
bearings are worn :/) I've had no real problems. I run it at pretty high
loads at times since I use it to develop and later demo some data-mining
type apps at customers which gives the CPU a good workout. A coworker
used to run his with the lid almost shut and he apparently fryed the
memory that way, so I guess the system dissapates quite a bit of heat
through the keyboard (the main heatpipe runs right under it).

HTH
Olaf