[geeks] OSX Server

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 15 12:21:05 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Ah, extended use I can see, although I'd feel better if they could do
> more.

In the case of the PowerBook it's that OS X Server doesn't have the
power management or thermal management software that the PowerBook
requires.  Laps don't dissipate heat well.  Neither do beds, couches,
carpeted floors, tables with tablecloths, or many of the other places
people put laptops.

When you put a laptop computer in a situation like that running at 100%
CPU you have to either move more air or clock the CPU down to keep the
machine happy.  OS X Server doesn't have the code to make that happen
for the laptop and consumer desktop systems.  Apparently the thermal
management hardware in the xServe and Power Macintosh systems is
different enough such that it can be supported separately.

I'm sure that, in the end, it boils down to money.  Apple doesn't want
to support people using iBooks as servers.  Outside of a development
environment, it wouldn't make much sense to load it on one, anyway.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Trying is the first step towards failure."
Elgin, TX          (                                  --Ben