[geeks] OSX Server

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 15 10:34:22 CST 2005

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 @ 20:12 -0500, Kurt Huhn said:

> On Mar 14, 2005, at 7:12 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> >Mon, 14 Mar 2005 @ 11:45 -0500, Kurt Huhn said:
> >
> >>Be *VERY* carfeul with that.  OS X Server does not contain any
> >>power-saving utilities, or any throttling capability, so theres a very
> >>good chance your Powerbook could roast if you do that.
> >
> >I'm really leery of a computer than can't run full speed without
> >burning
> >up.
> >
> >Is this all Powerbooks, or just certain models?
> >

> Well, run at full speed for extended periods of time.  Almost all slim
> notebooks I've seen will roach if you try that with them.  Apple, Dell,
> or Sony, it doesn't seem to matter.  That's why my heavy lifting is
> down by Real Computers, and the mobile light duty is done by computers
> that are small and cute.

Ah, extended use I can see, although I'd feel better if they could do
more.

A lot of people use only laptops on their desk, and quite a few are on
all the time when they aren't mobile.

They use external keyboard/mouse/monitor setups with their laptop so
they can avoid having a desktop unit.

It would be interesting to see some data on how long setups like this
last.

Quite a few people seem to upgrade so frequently, they probably don't
care.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]