[geeks] Can I netboot a SPARCclassic from Win95 box?

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 12:14:59 CDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:01:25 +0200 (MEST), Arno Kletzander wrote:
> When I do boot-net on the Sun, it activates its Ethernet interface
> (Link LED on the hub lights up), transmits packets (ARP/RARP requests,
> according to certain descriptions of the boot process), and repeatedly
> complains about "Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet". I suppose there
> should be something like an RARP server running on the PC, which

Definitely. Later Suns support booting with BOOTP/DHCP but most need
RARP. Incidentally if you haven't already, get some sort of packet
sniffer ... something like Ethereal might be overkill for the PC you
have, but *something* to see what's going down on the wire is pretty
essential for this sort of stuff.