[geeks] Can I netboot a SPARCclassic from Win95 box?

David Cummings real.psyence at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 01:28:20 CDT 2005

Welcome.
There is most likely a way to do what you want, though I doubt anyone
has tried recently. I've netbooted a SSLX not a week ago, though all
the servers (rarpd/dhcpd/tftpd) were linux based. You definitely need
something that will respond to the sun's request for an IP. Without
that, it won't proceed to looking for a tftpboot image. These links
are useful for understanding the process:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-netboot-howto.xml
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun.html
->Tips that helped me: double check your openboot environmental
variables, tpe-link-test sometimes needs to be toggled, and 'boot
net-tpe' instead of just 'boot net' helped success rates. It's still a
flaky process.

beyond that, a quick google turned up this windows bootp server for
win95, and possibly a rarpd server:
http://www.panix.com/~perin/

Some dhcp servers can also serve bootp and rarpd. Look around in the
features of a couple comprehensive ones and I'm sure you can find
something that will work.
Good luck!
-Dave

--
The way that can be named is not the Way.