[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 10 23:14:42 CST 2005

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 @ 18:32 -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez said:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > In other words, it sounded like they were after short-term gains at the
> > expensive of HP, and she wasn't butchering the company fast enough.
>
> I don't read the statement like that at all,

Well, the story I read said specifically their disagreement was profit
and speed of profit related.  Nothing else was mentioned, so I just
assumed it was your typical greed motivated decision.

Since that kind of mentality is common in board rooms, it didn't seem
unlikely that this was just yet another similar case.

I'm still skeptical, but I suppose how careful they are hiring Carly's
replacement and how the react if they aren't any better will tell you
what they really think.

> pretty much it is the fact that her dumbass trumped over the board to
> get her way and merge with Compaq. She f-cked up royally now is the
> payback, simple as that. Plus it was clear to everyone in the company
> she was not in HP for the long run,

Agreed, I just wasn't sure the board cared.

If she had met their profit targets, do you think they would have fired
her still?

BTW... her payback is $21 million.  To me, if a CEO screws up, they
should get the boot without any severence at all.

For once, I would like to see a CEO fired in a way that was actually
painful.

All I see right now is people being rewarded for their mistakes.

> Compaq has been the touchstone around HP's neck and I do not think HP
> will recover (if ever), spinning Agilent was another classic blunder.

Touchstone:
    1) Lydian stone; basanite; -- so called because used to test the
       purity of gold and silver by the streak which is left upon the
       stone when it is rubbed by the metal.

    2) Any test or criterion by which the qualities of a thing are tried

I'm not sure what you mean about Compaq given those two definitions.

Or do you mean how she handled Compaq is how HP should be judged?

> She f'd up Agilent royaly.... she is almost done with HP. I mean these
> people are just serial economic hitmen.

Another "good" one was that moron that was at DEC near the end, can't
remember his name.  He was as good as Carly at destroying things, or at
least close.

Again, he was "punished" with a golden parachute.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]