[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 10 12:41:26 CST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Nothing too bad. Only two niggles remain and one of those only appeared
> yesterday. The long running one (a remote mksysb via NIM that fails with
> 'file too large') I think I have a possible answer to.

jfs, by default does not support files larger than 2GB.  You either have
to create a jfs filesystem with large files enabled or you have to
create a jfs2[0] filesystem to work around that.

> Actually I've seen very little trouble with VIO (excluding pilot error)
> although as soon as the support contract is worked out, IBM is going to
> get a lot of grief over the fact that MPIO works for FC in an AIX LPAR
> and not in a VIO LPAR(after all it's just AIX underneath).

Well, yeah.  IBM ASSumes that you'll just run mirrored VIO partitions to
get there and use MPIO in the AIX LPAR.  However, if your MPIO software
doesn't support that...

Trust me, we're getting bitten there, too.  Stupid fscking suits saved
$500 or so on a $100k SAN by going with StorageTek instead of IBM.  What
a stupid mess.  IBM has SANs that work at about the same price.  Why
deal with two different vendors?

> Mind you we haven't used any of the LPARs in anger yet ... maybe we'll
> find out why the IBM salescritters say that "nobody uses it" and are
> worried about us trying.

With the latest microcode and the latest VIO server and the latest HMC
(075, 1.1.1.41, and 4.3.3, respectively), it works as-advertised.  This
was not the case in the previous revisions.

[0] You really only want to do this on 64-bit systems.  AIX 5.1 will let
     you create jfs2 slices on a 32-bit machine, but the performance
     sucks.
--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."