[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 02:14:46 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:13:29 -0600 (CST), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > AIX works? That's good, as I seem to be encountering endless niggles
> > at the moment. Probably just that I'm new to it.
>
> Probably just that.  AIX is Weird and Different, and, really, it's Not
> Unix under the hood.  If you're getting stuck, feel free to ask me.  I
> wrangle it all day long and have grown to like it quite a bit.

Nothing too bad. Only two niggles remain and one of those only appeared
yesterday. The long running one (a remote mksysb via NIM that fails with
'file too large') I think I have a possible answer to.

I tend to see similarities rather than differences, but with AIX you
certainly turn some corners and find something alien staring at you.
Sometimes it's a friendly alien though :)

> Ah, are you having troubles with AIX or with the VIO and all that
> other assorted crap?  p5 Virtualization has a lot of promise to it,

Actually I've seen very little trouble with VIO (excluding pilot error)
although as soon as the support contract is worked out, IBM is going to
get a lot of grief over the fact that MPIO works for FC in an AIX LPAR
and not in a VIO LPAR(after all it's just AIX underneath). Mind you we
haven't used any of the LPARs in anger yet ... maybe we'll find out why
the IBM salescritters say that "nobody uses it" and are worried about us
trying.