[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Feb 9 16:47:56 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:07:39 -0500 (EST)
adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:

> imho they're in way too deep to back out of itanic.
Yes, I am frightened they are.

> that's not to say i don't think -this- chip isn't a colossal mistake.
> is it actually showing -any- of the claimed promise?
Well. It is 64 bit? ;-)
>From what I heared one problem with Itanic is the need for exorbitant
high memory bandwith. That is the reason why intel put huge (and thus
expensive) caches on the chip.

> but we can hope they'll also revisit the non-itanic programs and
> re-evaluate them.
That is my hope too. PA-RISC delivers a lot of performance per MHz. But
they didn't develope a real new core since the PA-8000. Everything since
then is a cooked up PA-8000. Much like SGI did with the R1[246]k since
the R10k.

Then think of the things that where invented on / for Alpha and that are
now soled by intel (HyperThreading) and AMD (HyperTransport).
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen