[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Feb 9 17:11:23 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> From what I heared one problem with Itanic is the need for exorbitant
> high memory bandwith.

And good compilers.  VLIW, especially the way Intel implemented it is as
fundamentally different from RISC and CISC and RISC and CISC are from
each other.  Intel's compilers are getting better, but they're not quite
There Yet.  There's an awful lot of potential in IA64, due in no small
part to it not being held back by the three decades of hacks in IA32 the
way AMD64 is.

> Then think of the things that where invented on / for Alpha and that are
> now soled by intel (HyperThreading) and AMD (HyperTransport).

I really wish Alpha would be revived.  I'm no big fan of most of the
systems architecture of the Alpha systems, but the processor itself and
the interconnect stuff they came up with (HyperTransport being one of
them) is amazing.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."