[geeks] FS: Tadpole RDI TurboSPARC Laptop for sale

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 6 22:29:47 CST 2005

Hello all,

I have a Tadpole TurboSPARC (SS-5/170 CPU) for sale, specs as follows - note, there is an intermittent problem with the unit, as described below:

TurboSPARC 170 MHz CPU (SS/5 arch.)
192 Meg RAM (no idea of SIMMs installed, assume 128 and 64 Meg?)
1.2 Gig IBM HD (native SCSI 2.5" laptop drive - no SCSI<->IDE adapter card)
1024x768 color display
Battery of passable quality (holds charge, not clocked)
Case in good condition - some scratches on edge, but very solid)
Power Adapter included
Owners Manual

NOTE: IIRC, this unit is SS/5-170 compatible - no special framebuffer drivers required (unlike the 3GX series of laptops)

PROBLEM - while the display is beautiful (bright, no dead or stuck pixels), there is a wiring issue that sometimes causes the screen to blackout. The system still runs fine, and I have found that by *nearly* closing the lid and re-opening it, the display comes back. This unit came from Mike N., and when I got it from him he told me of this issue, and indicated it is  most likely a loose connection in the cable between the display and the system board (should be easy to fix for one with decent "solder-fu" or willing to have an eltronics repair man attempt the fix).

Pictures available, contact me off-list.

Asking $200 shipped Continental US, or best offer.

I'd like to sell this ASAP, and if not sold by Wednesday, I'll put it on eBay.

Thanks,

Lionel
(lionel4287 at verizon dot net)