[geeks] Screw question

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Dec 11 23:28:08 CST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:07:29PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> If they're self-illuminating, yeah.  I dont want anything with a
> backlight or a bulb that can burn out.

OLEDs are great, but don't last long. The blue ones are down to half
the original brightness after  about 3,000 hours of use. They are active
devices, like tiny red, green and blue LEDs.

The good news is that they are "printed" using a technique similar to
ink jet printing.

Almost infinite sized units are possible, a single piece theater sized
screen is possible.

Estimates at this time are for handheld devices size (3.5inch) 800x600
screens to cost about $5 each in large quantities, instead of the current
$40 price for a 1/4 VGA screen. Many handheld display devices in the $200
retail range will be able to be sold for half of that price using an
OLED screen.

OLED TV sets, with user replaceable screens will be out soon. They will be
about 1 inch or less thick and a replacement screen will be about $100
once the novelty wears off.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.