[geeks] Screw question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Dec 11 19:07:29 CST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 08:06:26PM -0500, Atomist wrote:
> Tell me about it. I have an early model Akai that's going to the dump
> pretty soon. It has so bad burnins that it's not useful anymore.
> I mean if I can get a replacement plasma screen alright but as it is
> the safest would be to just recycle it with the manufacturer.

Did you turn down the contrast and brightness to a reasonable level when
you got it?

> The new plasmas supposed to have burn in protection. I think they do
> some sort of pixel shifting to not keep the same pixel illuminated
> for a too long time? Don't know exactly.

This has a "screen saver" feature that shifts the image around every
so often.  Maybe I had it set to do it too often, but I noticed a "jerk"
every time it did, so I turned it off.

> Plasma's are getting old. LCD TV's are big time in the coming. And
> once they finally start selling OLED TV's... man that's gonna be so
> sweet.

If they're self-illuminating, yeah.  I dont want anything with a
backlight or a bulb that can burn out.

BIll

--
Bill Bradford