[geeks] I. Don't. Get. It.

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Dec 8 11:27:38 CST 2005

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>

>>>According to the Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0's "More Reasons to Upgrade":
>>>
>>>   * View 3D content, Macromedia(R) Flash(R) (SWF) animations, and
>>>     Windows Media clips in your Adobe PDF documents.
>>>
>>>Why the hell would I want to?
>>
>>Because some dim-wit PowerPoint addict is going to send you something
>>with that crap in it?
>

> Yes, but previously this was not possible.  Adobe must've added this
> misfeature to the content-creation side of the PDF suite, and this level
> of shite is singularly unacceptable.  There's simply NO CAUSE for it.
> It was bad-enough when they added JavaScript to it a few versions back,
> but "3D" animations, Flash, and Windows Media files?  Someone deserves a
> punch in the nose over that.
>
> I just cannot imagine how this can be useful-enough[0] to justify how
> annoying this is going to get[1].  It's too bad there's no way a boycott
> would work.

Why do people insist on doing butt simple things with overcomplicated
multimedia?

The written word will handle 99% of all communications.  I think the
problem is people making up for their illiteracy.

Don't these idiots ever think about those of us who might need to
*PRINT* this stuff in hard copy?  Or maybe we just like to get the
information without all the noise?

Websites are a good predictor of what PDF will become: 90% useless crap
that you have to wade through to find the data.

(grumble)

> [1] Want to start a "dead pool" on how long it'll be before suits and
>      marketroids make our heads explode by means of service manuals or
>      datasheets in PDF containing
>                    +---------------------------------+
>                    | PUNCH THE MONKEY AND WIN $20!!! |
>                    +---------------------------------+
>      every few paragraphs?

That made me laugh... but it makes me sick too because it will probably
happen.

The whole gang of marketing morons are shoving ads into *EVERYTHING*.  I
watched someone use Quicken the other day, just doing basic accounting,
and the interface was peppered with ads!  What the hell is that?

It's even in paperback books now, and even DVDs you buy now have ads.  I
remember when I was a kid you bought cable TV to avoid the ads, and now
they have more than network TV.

You go in a Walmart, and some mind bogglingly stupid idiot has gotten
the idea to hang televisions over your head broadcasting ads while you
shop.  I mean good grief, I am *IN THE DAMNED STORE*, I don't need to be
"attracted" any more!

Sometimes I think this crap is going to cause violence.  One day you'll
read in the paper about how a few hundred ad workers were rounded up and
shot in cold blood at a Madison Avenue office party.