[geeks] I. Don't. Get. It.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Dec 9 16:30:22 CST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> [head explody]

What's really burning me up about Acroread 7 for Solaris at the moment
is that it depends on software that Sun doesn't ship.  For example, it
depends on a 32-bit GTK2.  It also depends on a particular version of
the GNU C++ library.  None of those ships with Solaris 8 (nor Solaris 9,
to my knowledge).

The recommended course of action is to grab packages from
sunfreeware.com.  WTF?  If the -Windows- version of this shitware
required random DLLs that we were supposed to download from tucows.com,
no one would put up with that.

Hey, Abode!  What in the hell is wrong with the UI libraries (Motif or
64-bit GTK2; pick one) and C++ library that Sun -ships with the operating
system[0] you claim to support-?

[0] Or in the case of GTK, with the GNOME add-on package which is just
     about required these days anyway (although that's another rant
     entirely).
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Buy the best there is, because it's sorry enough."
Elgin, TX         (                                      --Henry Zuehlke