[geeks] Aluminum 30" Apple Display

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 12:17:46 CDT 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:38:54 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:23:42PM -0400, velociraptor wrote:
> > Did you purchase this or is this the infamous Franken-PIX?  I am
> > considering something like this after all the horrible reviews I've
> > read of the FW/switch products available in the consumer/pro-sumer
> > market.  Prices look relatively decent on ePay.
>
> This is what work provided me when I started here almost two years
> ago.  It's basically a fixed-config two-interface PIX (although the
> "inside" interface is actually a 5-port switch) in the same form

That's a 4-port switch, or they've changed the 501 recently. They're
certainly more than good enough for a home network, unless you've got a
need for a pure DMZ (you can punch holes through but you can't isolate a
DMZ server from your internal machines). CPU-wise it'll probably eat
most consumer stuff alive ... I've managed to get mine to reach 60%
utilisation by doing an insane nmap scan.

Featurewise, it's probably much better than the consumer stuff ... for
instance it'll 'fixup' H.323 even when NATting providing you're running
a recent software version.