[geeks] Aluminum 30" Apple Display

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 29 11:38:54 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:23:42PM -0400, velociraptor wrote:
> Did you purchase this or is this the infamous Franken-PIX?  I am
> considering something like this after all the horrible reviews I've
> read of the FW/switch products available in the consumer/pro-sumer
> market.  Prices look relatively decent on ePay.

This is what work provided me when I started here almost two years
ago.  It's basically a fixed-config two-interface PIX (although the
"inside" interface is actually a 5-port switch) in the same form
factor as most home "routers".  I'll be replacing it with the
FrankenPIX (which has actually had most of its parts moved into
a genuine PIX 520 now) in a couple of weeks when I get the time,
just because I like owning all of my home network hardware.

> > I'm already looking to find a smaller case for toaster.  This fall I may
> > replace it with a mini-ITX box (see www.nanode.com for an example).
> What are you using for OS and disks on this little beastie?

Currently its just a standard mini-tower ATX system with normal 3.5"
40G IDE hard drive, and the OS is CentOS (www.centos.org) 3.1 (a
freely-available recompile of RedHat Enterprise Linux 3u1).

Main reason its got RHEL instead of Solaris x86 on it is that I
needed a testing platform a while back for a client's migration
to RH/x86 from Solaris/SPARC, so I threw CentOS on there for a few
days, and ended up implementing rsnapshot on that.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas