[geeks] "pf" on Solaris?

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Tue Jun 15 08:28:17 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 06:42:59PM -0500, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] "pf" on Solaris?
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:45:20AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > If you're intending to upgrade to Solaris 10 at some stage then
> > > sticking with ipfilter would be a better long-term decision...
> >
> > Why?  The ipfilter that ships with Solaris 10 is an older version,
> > even.  As far as I know, its just contributed software, not "built into"
> > the kernel any more than the version I download and compile is..
>
> It's based on 4.0.33, but with a number of mods/bug fixes/etc.
> It's most certainly not "contributed" software - it's installed by
> default and is a fully supported Solaris product.
>
> $ uname -a
> SunOS docbert 5.10 s10_61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
> $ pkginfo | grep -i ipf
> system      SUNWipfr                         IP Filter utilities, (Root)
> system      SUNWipfu                         IP Filter utilities, (Usr)
>
> (it went into build 50, so has been in Solaris Express for several
> months).

  Where did you get s10_61?  The latest Express ISOs I've seen are b58
(presumably s10_58) and the ISOs I installed on an Ultra5 in my lab are b54
(with uname giving an ID of s10_54):

[idubraws at elab-krb5 idubraws]
1 $ uname -a
SunOS elab-krb5 5.10 s10_54 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

which has an older IPF (v4.0beta18).

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect