[geeks] Strange x86 problem

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jun 14 20:29:02 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 01:22:31PM +1200, James Braid wrote:
> Sounds like a really freaky problem ...

I did this:

- Dissasembled system completely
- Put it back together
- Put in a different Intel PCI ethernet card
- Put in an AGP video card
- Reset to "fail-safe defaults"

. . . and it worked.

I then proceeded to narrow it down to what BIOS setting was causing the
problem - turned out to be "System BIOS Cacheable".  Turn that off, everything
works fine.

Strange.  So strange.  Last time I reset to fail-safe, it still had the
problem.  Maybe it was a combination of reassembly and the new cards that
solved the problem.

I've done PC hardware work for years, and I was at the point of finding a
different motherboard.

Bill

--
bill bradford