[geeks] "pf" on Solaris?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Fri Jun 11 19:19:48 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:45:20AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > If you're intending to upgrade to Solaris 10 at some stage then
> > sticking with ipfilter would be a better long-term decision...
>
> Why?  The ipfilter that ships with Solaris 10 is an older version,
> even.  As far as I know, its just contributed software, not "built into"
> the kernel any more than the version I download and compile is..

It's based on 4.0.33, but with a number of mods/bug fixes/etc.
It's most certainly not "contributed" software - it's installed by
default and is a fully supported Solaris product.

$ uname -a
SunOS docbert 5.10 s10_61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
$ pkginfo | grep -i ipf
system      SUNWipfr                         IP Filter utilities, (Root)
system      SUNWipfu                         IP Filter utilities, (Usr)

(it went into build 50, so has been in Solaris Express for several
months).

  Scott