[geeks] Re: RIP, Ronald Reagan

ghub005 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jun 7 00:51:27 CDT 2004

Patrick said

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:47:20PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 10:15:14PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> >
> > Bowling for Columbine was a work of fiction.
>

> Sir!!!  I'm surprised at you!  That's a slur upon good honest fiction!

There are:

documentaries:  like what you see on the History Channel

mockumentaries:  Spinal Tap, Best In Show

crockumentary:  Bowling for Columbine

--P

---------------<end quote>---------------

At the risk of becoming the list's contrarian, I really enjoyed the Bowling for
Columbine movie. A lot of it was pretty silly but the message was pretty clear
i.e. there does seem to be an undue climate of fear in the USA. FWIW I
particularly enjoyed the segment where they talked with one of the producers
of the COPS show.

While I agree that his documentaries are often overly senstational, I'd argue
that Mr Moore provides an important source of criticism for corporate
America. Like Adam smith said, it is important to pay close attention to any
proposed new law or regulation that comes from businessmen as they
"...have generally an interest to deceive and even to oppress the public."

Regards,

Gavin