[geeks] FS: Behringer V-Amp 2 guitar amp/effects system

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jun 7 14:15:05 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 06:22:07PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> Amen.  I can't afford a Canon 10D (uses the same lenses as my EOS 620)
> so I wound up getting a used Mavica FD-95 from eBay.  It's OK and
> does have "some" manual features but not the greatest.

I'm afraid I've never been impressed with Sony digital cameras,
particularly the Mavicas.  This idea of Sony's of writing directly to
first a floppy disk, now a CD-R, makes for very big, bulky, awkward
cameras.  Plus they tend to provide only an LCD-panel viewfinder instead
of a proper eye-level viewfinder, so *then* you've got a big, bulky,
heavy camera that you have to hold a foot away to be able to see the
viewfinder, so you can't lock your elbows....

(A lot of their early digital cameras had interlaced camcorder CCDs,
too, which tended to produce photos that looked like shit.  I don't
know if they're still doing this.  I hope not.)

I have an Olympus D-500L right now, but I've been lusting after a Canon
Powershot Pro90 IS.

> The only
> reson I went partially digital (still have the film unit) is that I have
> greater control since I don't do darkroom anymore and other reasons:
> "Dear, did you pick up that Fuji film for me?"
> "No, I got the Polaroid instead...it was cheaper."
> "(Grrrr.........)" And, of course, the pictures sucked.

I went digital because:
 - I didn't have to carry film around,
 - I didn't have to worry about whether my film was too cold or too warm
   or too old or the wrong speed or the wrong color balance,
 - I didn't have to wait while I sent my film off for development in
   order to find out if the shot came out,
 - I didn't have to find a scanner after I got the prints back if there
   were any I wanted to use online,
 - I never had to go through the frustration of carefully setting up a
   difficult shot with an unconventional exposure, only to find that the
   automatic print exposure system on the photo lab's totally-automated
   processing machine screwed up the prints because it tried to print
   every frame as though they were family snapshots at Timmy's birthday
   party.

It was also nice to be able to shoot 80 or 90 frames, then take 20
seconds to swap memory cards (including the time to retrieve a fresh
card from the camera case), instead of having to take a couple of
minutes to rewind and load a new roll of film every 24 frames or so.

I sold my 35mm camera to someone who'd actually use it, after realizing
that I couldn't remember how many years it had been since I last put a
roll of film through it.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net