[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Jun 7 08:17:10 CDT 2004

> I don't think that everything he did was bad. I'm talking grand
> average. Inflation is bad... but I think Republicans make a bigger
> deal out of inflation and less of a deal out of the entire country
> going into serious debt.
>
> My parents being upset by the above is highly doubtful since the above
> is an example of a more liberal leaning move. It hurts at first but
> it is designed to bring the economy into stability. If you are doing
> something that helps the poor get loans... that's a friendly move. My
> parents aren't wealthy and they are exceedingly liberal. My mother
> considers taxes "freedom fees". The point is... taxes in theory are
> good and I for one gladly pay them. I want my services. I want those
> less fortunate to have services too. I'd really love it if less of us
> were "less fortunate". So my parents were probably complaining more
> about the Suitly things he did or the military things he did. Every
> time I saw him on TV I had a gut feeling without being told what to
> feel that he was all about silent bravado and part of the whole uber-
> patriotic movement that makes this country so aggressive. I'm just
> tired of us being so arrogant as a country. The key word being that
> this is my opinion. I'd love to some day see the government look sort
> of like the UFP. (it's not gonna happen... at least not within several
> of our lifetimes)
Well, I agree with most of what you say.  With talking to people from
other countries, I find that most seem to feel that Americans are, for the
most part, OK, but the government is "lacking in quality".  I was even
asked once, "How did you lose control over your government?"  I had
no answer.
I have no problem with patriotism, as long as it is in line with the
Constitution.  Some of the "Homeland Security" stradegies really
infringe on our rights.  Will they make us safer?  I don't think so.
BTW, the Carter administration put in one little edict (don't know
what else to call it) that during a declared national emergency,
the governement basically can throw out your constitutional
rights.  I guess the basic idea is so they can move people out of
an area that is threatened by a hurricane, volcano, etc.  But it is
very open to misuse.
What really gets me is when some one (government, media, etc.)
trys to tell me how to think.  Being in teaching, I get this all of the
time. (This method works.....it works...IT WORKS.  If it doesn't,
it's your fault because we know it works.)  Like I said about the
obits for Regan.  Rather than editorialize, they should just report
the news.  Reporting the news....what a concept!