[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jun 6 22:19:05 CDT 2004

> My parents being upset by the above is highly doubtful since the above
> is an example of a more liberal leaning move.  It hurts at first but
> it is designed to bring the economy into stability.  If you are doing
> something that helps the poor get loans... that's a friendly move.  My
> parents aren't wealthy and they are exceedingly liberal.  My mother
> considers taxes "freedom fees".  The point is... taxes in theory are
> good and I for one gladly pay them.  I want my services.  I want those
> less fortunate to have services too.  I'd really love it if less of us
> were "less fortunate".  So my parents were probably complaining more
> about the Suitly things he did or the military things he did.  Every
> time I saw him on TV I had a gut feeling without being told what to
> feel that he was all about silent bravado and part of the whole uber-
> patriotic movement that makes this country so aggressive.  I'm just
> tired of us being so arrogant as a country.  The key word being that
> this is my opinion.  I'd love to some day see the government look sort
> of like the UFP. (it's not gonna happen... at least not within several
> of our lifetimes)

Taxes are good when they go to good use.  There are a lot of taxes that
go for things that the government shouldn't be doing, like welfare.  The
federal government should be taking care of things like national defense
and the other stuff should be local.  I want the less fortunate to quit
sucking off the national teat and get a job.  There are jobs available.
Unfortunately, welfare makes it easier for the people to stay at home
rather than doing work.  If nothing else, people on welfare can pick
up litter along the roads, clean up the parks, etc.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net