[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Jun 6 17:42:13 CDT 2004

Quoting "" <wa2egp at att.net>:

> Well, I can see this easily turing into a flame war but I noticed in

Probably.

> a lot of the
> media obits, they never mention that his administration was the
> beginning
> of reducing the inflation rate which was 13% at the time.  It was
had
> to get
> a credit card below 21% interest.  Mortgage rates were in the high
> teens and
> banks in this part of the country were not giving minorities loans
> because
> they were viewed as probably not being able to keep up the payments.
> His
> administratation implimented a wage and price freeze to try and
> stabilize
> the economy.  That really pissed off a lot of people.  Could that be
> the resentment
> echoed by your parents?  Just guessing on my part.  Was it a good

I don't think that everything he did was bad.  I'm talking grand
average.  Inflation is bad... but I think Republicans make a bigger
deal out of inflation and less of a deal out of the entire country
going into serious debt.

My parents being upset by the above is highly doubtful since the above
is an example of a more liberal leaning move.  It hurts at first but
it is designed to bring the economy into stability.  If you are doing
something that helps the poor get loans... that's a friendly move.  My
parents aren't wealthy and they are exceedingly liberal.  My mother
considers taxes "freedom fees".  The point is... taxes in theory are
good and I for one gladly pay them.  I want my services.  I want those
less fortunate to have services too.  I'd really love it if less of us
were "less fortunate".  So my parents were probably complaining more
about the Suitly things he did or the military things he did.  Every
time I saw him on TV I had a gut feeling without being told what to
feel that he was all about silent bravado and part of the whole uber-
patriotic movement that makes this country so aggressive.  I'm just
tired of us being so arrogant as a country.  The key word being that
this is my opinion.  I'd love to some day see the government look sort
of like the UFP. (it's not gonna happen... at least not within several
of our lifetimes)

Andrew