[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

Matthew Poertner bass at poertner.net
Sun Jun 6 21:55:40 CDT 2004

> Whatever you want... this is geeks... you're entitled to your opinion.
> Express... discuss... etc.

I understand that.  Some people take politics very personal.  I was just
  sort of asking - Do you really want to stir that pot?

> How old are you btw?...(this is in relation to thinking the Clinton
> years... not the man... were anything but the best time in recent
> history)... no I don't think he was reponsible directly, but it does
> color him.

25.  I, like you with Reagan, was just tired of seeing Clinton's face on
TV.  Hearing his voice and the stupid things come out of his mouth just
made me sick.  I was embarrassed to be an American.

> Yes I personally am tired of our fear-mongering culture.  Yes I am
> entitled to my opinions... yes I did recently watch Bowling for
> Columbine.  And yes I agree with the basic tenets... even in countries
> that own far more guns... they don't have OUR unique problems.  Guns
> are cool.. why can't we have them and leave our doors unlocked?  Why
> do the talking heads constantly barrage us with terror alerts with no
> specificity whatsoever... to keep us afraid... to keep us from
> throwing their asses out of a job... to keep us killing each other.

Yes, that's the great thing about America is that you are certainly
entitled to expressing your own opinion... Regardless of how ill
informed your basis for them are.

> I need to move to Australia in the deep brush or something.
>
> during the Clinton years there were lots of jobs, lots of touchy-
> feelyness in the government, no terror alerts, a surplus, it felt like
> we were on our way to providing retirement for the next generation.
> There was a level keel.  Clinton also wasn't a total pussy who had no
> platform or an ill-defined one like Al Gore.  He had chutzpah at
> least.

Surplus? What exactly do you think we had a surplus of? I wonder...