[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Jun 6 17:25:05 CDT 2004

-------------- Original message from Andrew Weiss : --------------
> On Jun 5, 2004, at 9:25 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:
>
> > Jimmy Carter was a terrible president. He has made a great
> > ex-President,
> > though.
>
> I don't think so bub.
>

> > The eight years of RR's Presidency were eight great years.
> > Eric Dittman
> > dittman at dittman.net
>
> Bah!
> Terrible. He's lucky he was a hell of a lot smarter than Shrub... but
> they sport the same platform and tactics.... all 3... RR, Bush 1, and
> Bush 2.... terrible presidents.
>
> Case in point... he may have been dirty and lots of people hate him,
> but I think Nixon was better than all of them combined so this isn't a
> Republican/Demo thing. It's who stands up for reasonable principles
> and gets stuff done...
>
> The most inept president I know was Gerald Ford. He sure is a funny
> guy though.
>
> Andrew
Well, I can see this easily turing into a flame war but I noticed in a lot of the
media obits, they never mention that his administration was the beginning
of reducing the inflation rate which was 13% at the time.  It was had to get
a credit card below 21% interest.  Mortgage rates were in the high teens and
banks in this part of the country were not giving minorities loans because
they were viewed as probably not being able to keep up the payments.  His
administratation implimented a wage and price freeze to try and stabilize
the economy.  That really pissed off a lot of people.  Could that be the resentment
echoed by your parents?  Just guessing on my part.  Was it a good thing?
We'll have to wait a few hundred years to find out for sure unless the
revisonist historians start working overtime.  Personally, I find no difference
between the Replicrats and the Demicans ;->

Bob