[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 27 23:17:53 CDT 2004

Awwww. :(

> Current support that may be removed in a future release:
> - sun4m hardware support
> - le ethernet drivers
> - 32-bit sun4u kernel
> - 32-bit X11 Static libs
> - Support for A3K, A3500, A3500FC storage

Well, we saw all that coming.

> - AdminTool

And that, and I don't like it.  Oh well, I can go back to hand-editing
things.  I sure as hell wont use SMC, which dogs a 4-proc E3500.

> - fork() (?)

WTF?

> - KCMS

Good riddance

> - Netscape 4.7, 6.x, 7.0
> - NIS+

Whatwhatwhat?

> I'm sad to see AdminTool go, as the only thing I ever used it for
> was managing printers. :)

Which STILL is a PITA under Solaris.  That's a huge argument for loading
CUPS right there.

> NIS+ will NOT be missed.  I had to deal with it in '95, and I *still* have
> a bad taste in my mouth.  I heard that NIS+ was implemented for one or two
> big customers, and Sun themselves continued/continues to use NIS.

Well, I use NIS at home, but it was a tough call between the two.  I'm a
big fan of hierarchies and subdivisions, and NIS just doesn't have that.
But, NIS+ just looked like major overkill for 6 or 7 Suns, a pair of
SGIs, and some Macs.

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of