[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

bitrot bitrot at cat5.be
Wed Jul 28 05:07:30 CDT 2004

Bill Bradford wrote:
> Solaris 9 9/04 is out, along with a list of changes:
>
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/eof.html
>
> Some of these were listed in earlier end-of-software-support lists.
>
> Notable things removed as of this release:
> - sun4d support
> - 80486 support
> - WebNFS (did ANYBODY use WebNFS?)
> - AnswerBook2
>
> Current support that may be removed in a future release:
> - sun4m hardware support
> - le ethernet drivers
> - 32-bit sun4u kernel
> - 32-bit X11 Static libs
> - Support for A3K, A3500, A3500FC storage
> - AdminTool
> - fork() (?)
> - KCMS
> - Netscape 4.7, 6.x, 7.0
> - NIS+
>
> I'm surprised that sun4m support has lasted this long, as well as 32-bit
> UltraSPARC.  I'm sad to see AdminTool go, as the only thing I ever used it
> for was managing printers. :)
>
> NIS+ will NOT be missed.  I had to deal with it in '95, and I *still* have
> a bad taste in my mouth.  I heard that NIS+ was implemented for one or two
> big customers, and Sun themselves continued/continues to use NIS.
>
> Bill

i have a but pile of ss20's and i am VERY happy sol9 still suppports
them. its just amazing that with 8-9 year old hardware they are still
supported.  try that with other os's/unix hardware. nah.

<flame bait>

dangerous content by MailScanner software run
by SILIQ Limited, and is believed to be clean.