[geeks] guitar / audio geek question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 26 07:46:59 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/07/26 Mon AM 02:07:20 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] guitar / audio geek question
>
> few seconds of audio:
>
> http://sa.mrbill.net/clip.mp3
>
> (or, if you have Darkness' album, the very beginning of track #4)
>
> HOW THE HECK can I duplicate that "tinny AM radio" sound?  (that's the
> best way I can think to describe it).  Any way to do it *without* actually
> playing through and miking up some really tiny crappy speakers?

AM broadcasts are limited (frequency-wise), try runnig your source through an
EQ with the top and bottom bands "flat" (completely suppressed). Also, "real"
AM stations compress their signal to really "pack a punch" and cut through the
static, so adding compression after the EQ might help (or before, tinkering
will help you find the right solution).

HTH,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net