[geeks] guitar / audio geek question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Jul 25 22:21:08 CDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:06:00PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Are those amps really that good?  I don't think I've ever heard a sub 30
> watt amp I liked, and generally prefer 40-100 watts.

Err, this being talking about solid state amps, that is.  For some
reason, tubes seem to get away with lower wattage.

For that matter, I suspect that the whole wattage issue is rather
misleading when judging whatmight sound good enough.

That said, I still have never been happy with sub 30 watt solid state
guitar amps, of the various ones I've had a chance to play with.  I'm
not sure what the deal is because I can be perfectly happy with an amp
simulator fed into a smaller amplifier (meaning home audio, or self
powered studio monitors).