[geeks] guitar / audio geek question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Jul 25 22:40:50 CDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:06:00PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Currently I play an old Guild.  I think the electronics could use some
> work (new pickups might be nice, different pots would also be nice), but
> the neck is starting to develop a slight twist.  It doesn't interfere
> with playing it, but I'm hesitant to sink any money into it, unless I
> can get that fixed (I really haven't gotten around to looking into
> that yet).

Got any pictures of it?

> Are those amps really that good?  I don't think I've ever heard a sub 30
> watt amp I liked, and generally prefer 40-100 watts.

They're great.  Well, the Crate is just a generic bass amp, but the Marshall
is awesome.  It gets more than plenty loud for what I need, and their
"VDD" (tube "emulation") stuff on the low-end solid-state amps is amazing.

Much, much nicer than the "Lead 10" solid-state no-effects version I had
ten years ago. :)

> Of course, currently I just use a multi-effects unit (crappy old Zoom
> 9000, from before they were cheap junk, but also from when digital
> wasn't as similar to completely analog as it is now) plugged into the
> home stereo, when playing at home.  It isn't the most satisfying setup,
> but I do like it better than using the tiny amp I have (I have a tiny
> practice amp in storage.  I have a large amp that is too big for the
> apartment in storage, and I have an old Vox amp that needs repaired in
> storage, but if it worked might be nice for the apartment).

"New" Vox, or old Vox?

> Anyway, to get back to topic, you could try setting low presence, low
> bass and high mids and highs on your guitar amp.  If you can find a
> setting there that you like for that "AM" sound, you will either have to
> buy or build more equipment to get it.

I'll do some more fiddling around later, after people aren't napping..

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas