[geeks] guitar / audio geek question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Jul 25 22:06:00 CDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:53:46PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Les Paul Studio (2003)
> Ibanez Artcore TXD71 semi-hollowbody (just got it yesterday, see
>  http://sa.mrbill.net/txd71.jpg)
> Ovation/Applause roundback acoustic
> Gretsch 4-string short-scale bass

I just don't like Ovations.  But that's OK, lots of people do.

I'd love a Les Paul.  And that Ibanez looks really nice.

I'm kinda thinking of heading towards a Tele next.

Currently I play an old Guild.  I think the electronics could use some
work (new pickups might be nice, different pots would also be nice), but
the neck is starting to develop a slight twist.  It doesn't interfere
with playing it, but I'm hesitant to sink any money into it, unless I
can get that fixed (I really haven't gotten around to looking into
that yet).

> Equipment:
>
> Korg tuner
> Marshall MGDFX15 15-watt 10"-speaker combo amp
> Crate 10-watt 10"-speaker combo bass amp

Are those amps really that good?  I don't think I've ever heard a sub 30
watt amp I liked, and generally prefer 40-100 watts.

Of course, currently I just use a multi-effects unit (crappy old Zoom
9000, from before they were cheap junk, but also from when digital
wasn't as similar to completely analog as it is now) plugged into the
home stereo, when playing at home.  It isn't the most satisfying setup,
but I do like it better than using the tiny amp I have (I have a tiny
practice amp in storage.  I have a large amp that is too big for the
apartment in storage, and I have an old Vox amp that needs repaired in
storage, but if it worked might be nice for the apartment).

Anyway, to get back to topic, you could try setting low presence, low
bass and high mids and highs on your guitar amp.  If you can find a
setting there that you like for that "AM" sound, you will either have to
buy or build more equipment to get it.