[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jul 21 08:40:58 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:00:41AM +0200, Bj?rn Ramqvist wrote:
> >I've been looking for Symbios/LSI controllers because I've used them in
> >the past and they seem pretty good, but mostly I just want a good one
> >that is reliable and easy on the CPU (which means good drivers too).
>
> Remember, there's a reason why HP/DEC/Compaq, SGI and Sun uses the
> Symbios/LSI chips for their SCSI storage. SGI's about the only
> exception, where they actually put a AHA-2940UW into the O2 workstation.
> Oh, and HP with their AlphaServer ES45, where they have AIC-7899 chips
> on the internal SCSI cards.

I thought SGI mostly used Qlogic these days.

I've liked the qlogic PCI cards I've used in various PCs running various
OSs.  I thought they were much nicer than equivelent Adaptecs.

Of course, I'm rebuilding my linux machine now with a 2940UW rather than
a Qlogic.  But only because I didn't have any spare UW Qlogics on hand,
and I'm saving the LSI card for PCI suns.