[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 21 21:11:29 CDT 2004

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 @ 08:00 +0200, Bj?rn Ramqvist said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> >I have a PC running Linux, that has dual Adaptec 2940UW controllers.
> >
> >The first does 40MB/sec, the second will only do 20MB/sec (though I
> >don't understand why, it is a 2940UW controller).
>
> Do check in the Adaptec BIOS to check that the controllers are set to
> their maximum performance. Check also adapter firmware and compare with
> Adaptecs website.

The maximum on the second controller is 20MB/sec.  I don't understand
why, but that's the fastest option it gives me.

It's a version 1.22 BIOS, while the primary controller is a version 2.x
BIOS.  Seagate drives on the primary, Fujitsu on the secondary.

> >What I would like is to move to LVD SCSI (all the drives support it),
> >and I would like to cut the PCI slot clutter by using a single card if
> >possible.
>
> That's always nice, and the performance would be noticeable.

Definitely.

> >I've been looking for Symbios/LSI controllers because I've used them in
> >the past and they seem pretty good, but mostly I just want a good one
> >that is reliable and easy on the CPU (which means good drivers too).
>
> Remember, there's a reason why HP/DEC/Compaq, SGI and Sun uses the
> Symbios/LSI chips for their SCSI storage.

I know... I just wanted to see what people thought of other options, and
which of the Symbios chipsets people liked.

When I used to install a lot of them, there were a couple of the Symbios
chipsets I avoided, for reasons I can no longer recall.

> If cost is a factor, don't bet on buying new Adaptecs. While they are
> pretty much rock solid on the PeeCee, they are costly because quality costs.
> Go check eBay for AHA-3940U2's, AHA-39160's or something familiar. These
> should be somewhat cheap nowadays.

What's the advantage of a 3940 U2 versus a 2940 U2?  U2 is supposed to
be 80MB/sec... is the 3940 just a better controller?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]