[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jul 20 19:04:49 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:10:13PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I have a PC running Linux, that has dual Adaptec 2940UW controllers.
>
> The first does 40MB/sec, the second will only do 20MB/sec (though I
> don't understand why, it is a 2940UW controller).
>
> What I would like is to move to LVD SCSI (all the drives support it),
> and I would like to cut the PCI slot clutter by using a single card if
> possible.
>
> I only have 32-bit PCI, and I wonder if there any advantage/disadvantage
> to using a dual bus controller versus a pair of controllers?

Considered a 29160?  It can segment the bus and run each segment at its
own best speed.

I still wish Mylex hadn't bought (and promptly killed off) BusLogic.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net