[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 20 11:10:13 CDT 2004

I have a PC running Linux, that has dual Adaptec 2940UW controllers.

The first does 40MB/sec, the second will only do 20MB/sec (though I
don't understand why, it is a 2940UW controller).

What I would like is to move to LVD SCSI (all the drives support it),
and I would like to cut the PCI slot clutter by using a single card if
possible.

I only have 32-bit PCI, and I wonder if there any advantage/disadvantage
to using a dual bus controller versus a pair of controllers?

My first bus runs the OS drive, and a relatively static set of files,
and the second bus runs a raid0 where /home lives.

I've been looking for Symbios/LSI controllers because I've used them in
the past and they seem pretty good, but mostly I just want a good one
that is reliable and easy on the CPU (which means good drivers too).

Any recommendations or notes appreciated.  I've not bought a PC SCSI
controller in so long now, I have lost track of what is going on in that
world.

Cost is a factor, as this is 5 year old PC, and I don't want to put much
money into it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty