[geeks] Airport Express arrived yesterday!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 05:13:31 CDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 1:43:55 +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> My Linksys cable router is my DHCP server.
>
> I thought DHCP addresses had a lifetime, and when that was up it could
> be renewed (retained) by a device, but if the device is not powered up
> when the address "expired", it could not request an extension, hence
> losing the address...

A DHCP 'lease' has a period for which it is valid, but a client should
attempt to renew that lease at half (a default server setting) the lease
lifetime. I believe that the ISC dhcp server implementation will tend to
re-assign the same IP addres to a client even if the lease has expired
and that the RFC encourages this behaviour, although I could be wrong.