[geeks] Airport Express arrived yesterday!

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Jul 19 09:53:48 CDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> My Linksys cable router is my DHCP server.

> I thought DHCP addresses had a lifetime, and when that was up it could be
> renewed (retained) by a device, but if the device is not powered up when
> the address "expired", it could not request an extension, hence losing the
> address...

Your linksys will probably cause problems.   They don't remember how addresses
were assigned when power cycled.  On mine (when I used it for DHCP) the first
request after a power cycle got .100, 2nd got .101, etc.

Don't know if you have any other quick booting machines/appliances, but I
suspect at your next power cycle your airport express will have .100 which
may cause you some problems :)

For most people, that behavior is not a problem.  And, to be fair, for me it
was mainly just annoying.  However, I now have a Sparc 10 that hands out
DHCP.  And now my machines get consistent addresses :)

--Kurt