[geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 12 09:04:13 CDT 2004

Hello all,

Over the weekend I picked up a Toshiba TiVo using (TiVo with DVD player, model SD-H400) and have a few observations:

1) The user intrface is odd, but I only have the included "basic"
   service - I don't like monthly/lifetime fees ;^) - I assume
   the "traditional" subscription service is much better. (I have
   3 days of program guide available for recording)

2) What is up with those "TiVo Suggestions"? I found several odd
   programs recorded (3 stooges, Kim Possible, Charlies Angels:
   Full Throttle, etc.) are any of them "funded" by third-parties?
   (Could I pay TiVo to recommend a show be taped?)

3) The video picture is very good, comprable to Replay...

4) Is there a way to shut off "random" recording? I haven't had
   a real problem yet, but a couple times TiVo would "announce"
   that it wanted to change channels to record a show (one of it's
   suggestions) while I was watching something else. Since I have
   a cable box, it can only record what I watch.

5) My Replays seem less intrusive (I don't really want TiVos advice)
   but that may also be because my Replays are on TVs without cable
   boxes, so they can easily record one channel while I watch
   another.
6) Wireless connection of the TiVo worked great out of the box - I
   activate/set-up the box using the phone line, then after it's
   *big* update (hours on the phone!) it detects my WiFi adapter
   and prompts me to configure it. I took an old rebate special,
   an old NetGear MA111 (USB WiFi dongle) and it i just worked. I
   wish my Replays had that option.

7) The ability to "network" TiVos is quite expensive - anyone use
   it? By comparison, Replay can network out of the box (though
   only wired connections are directly supported), controlling one
   unit from another, streaming shows from one to another,and *I
   think* I can copy shows from one box to another... TiVo wants
   $50/box to enable this kind of sharing, and to enable that
   option you need to be on a paid subscription...

I bought the TiVo becuse the price was (I felt) right - $199 for an 80 hour TiVo - and because I was annoyed with having to blow $30 for an <Marvin The Martian voice>RF Modulator</Marvin The Martian voice> to use a DVD player on an older TV with no component input, and with WiFi and TiVo, this unit was a cool toy ;^)