[geeks] Fahrenheit 9/11

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 21:55:21 CDT 2004

Saw Farenheit 9/11 last week (early matinee on a week night), and I noticed an odd phenomenon: groups of people going to the movie together, not as couples or families, but "folks from work" or groups of neighbors... It was a "group event" for many that went...

I don't think Mr. Moore will change many minds with his "assertions" in the movie - his support of his "interpretations" of what happened seemed thin (to me, anyway)... And I personally found it intellectually weak that many of his arguments seem to be based (in part) on his unspoken connection between Saudi individuals and the Saudi Arabian nation - that would be like condeming all of Oklahoma for the Oklahoma City Federal building (Murrow?), since the bomber was from Oklahoma...

Honestly, I enjoyed "Super Size Me" more, I found it more intellectually "provocative" than "Farenheit 9/11"... In "Super Size Me" there is a reasonably scientific basis for it's assertions - Mr. Moore just says what he thinks...

I remeber reading "Dude, Where's my country?" and it just annoyed me, and watching this movie reminded me of that experience...

As for his assertions, I can not say - having wacthed his movie, I find myself in possession of slightly less than one side of the argument...