[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Jul 1 10:54:10 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 08:10, Kevin wrote:
> I use DDS3 DATs to backup most of my crap, although 240 gigs is a
> lot of DDS3 or 4 tapes.  I have a small set of data
> (financial, address records, notes, mostly text ~10megs) that i
> backup whenever it changes, encrypt twice with gpg and then scp
> to several machines across the globe.

I probably should use tape to backup my non-huge crap. Most of that 240
gigs was video (which sucks to lose, but life would certainly go on),
and that doesn't need RAID + external backup, at least not under normal
circumstances (oh no! I've lost my camcorder of The Fellowship of the
Ring!![1]).

Why do you encrypt it twice with gpg?

> As for larger stuff, once it's created/downloaded, it's copied to
> a "to backup" folder and run my DATs or DVD-R on it once a week,
> or sooner if the data is critical.

Is there merit to using tape over DVD+/-R ?

[1] I never really downloaded this movie. Go away, MPAA.