[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Jul 1 12:30:50 CDT 2004

Why twice?  Silly paranoia on my part (silly because if they can
crack one level of encryption, the next isn't going to be
much of an issue either.)  These files hold credit info, SSNs,
complete address info and so forth.  Basically, they're "steal
this identity" kits except that the identity(s) are legit.

Most of the time i use tape over DVD-R for stuff that i need at
the moment but that i don't intend to keep, or stuff that i have
not yet organized for final DVD burns.  Plus even a DDS3 DAT can
usually hold about 5.5 DVDs (single density) worth of data.  I
set a backup to run before i go to sleep and don't have to keep
feeding in blank DVDs.

/KRM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:54:10 -0500
mrl <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 08:10, Kevin wrote:
> > I use DDS3 DATs to backup most of my crap, although 240 gigs
> > is a lot of DDS3 or 4 tapes.  I have a small set of data
> > (financial, address records, notes, mostly text ~10megs) that
> > i backup whenever it changes, encrypt twice with gpg and then
> > scp to several machines across the globe.
>
> I probably should use tape to backup my non-huge crap. Most of
> that 240 gigs was video (which sucks to lose, but life would
> certainly go on), and that doesn't need RAID + external backup,
> at least not under normal circumstances (oh no! I've lost my
> camcorder of The Fellowship of the Ring!![1]).
>
> Why do you encrypt it twice with gpg?
>
> > As for larger stuff, once it's created/downloaded, it's
> > copied to a "to backup" folder and run my DATs or DVD-R on it
> > once a week, or sooner if the data is critical.
>
> Is there merit to using tape over DVD+/-R ?
>
> [1] I never really downloaded this movie. Go away, MPAA.

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/