[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Jul 1 08:10:29 CDT 2004

I use DDS3 DATs to backup most of my crap, although 240 gigs is a
lot of DDS3 or 4 tapes.  I have a small set of data
(financial, address records, notes, mostly text ~10megs) that i
backup whenever it changes, encrypt twice with gpg and then scp
to several machines across the globe.

As for larger stuff, once it's created/downloaded, it's copied to
a "to backup" folder and run my DATs or DVD-R on it once a week,
or sooner if the data is critical.

Works for me so far,
Kevin

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:31:26 -0400
"James" <james at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> > Things I'm going to miss the most: chatlogs (the worst loss),
> > my long list of quotes & jokes, passwords (probably not a big
> > deal.. I think I can remember most of these), and rare
> > software & docs (NeXT and Apple stuff, source code for old
> > stuff, random UNIXes for which I have no hardware(yet),
> > etc.). Fortunately, I recently moved my mail to IMAP on my
> > server, so none of that is lost.
>
> I never trust anything to anything. The odds of recovering data
> from a tape backup set is inversely proportional to the level
> of desperate need of the files. I've seen RAID go away. I've
> seen fire wipe out replicated storage devices. The technology
> that I trust the most (but not fully) is optical, but backup
> software (that I've seen) doesn't understand writing to a DVD
> drive.
>
> I keep lots of copies of stuff sprinkled around on lots of
> systems running different O/S's (in case an O/S specific virus
> does damage).
>
> My condolences on your loss, the pain is greatest in the

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/