[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

James james at jdfogg.com
Thu Jul 1 07:31:26 CDT 2004

> Things I'm going to miss the most: chatlogs (the worst loss), my long list
> of quotes & jokes, passwords (probably not a big deal.. I think I can
> remember most of these), and rare software & docs (NeXT and Apple stuff,
> source code for old stuff, random UNIXes for which I have no hardware
> (yet), etc.). Fortunately, I recently moved my mail to IMAP on my server,
> so none of that is lost.

I never trust anything to anything. The odds of recovering data from a tape
backup set is inversely proportional to the level of desperate need of the
files. I've seen RAID go away. I've seen fire wipe out replicated storage
devices. The technology that I trust the most (but not fully) is optical,
but backup software (that I've seen) doesn't understand writing to a DVD
drive.

I keep lots of copies of stuff sprinkled around on lots of systems running
different O/S's (in case an O/S specific virus does damage).

My condolences on your loss, the pain is greatest in the beginning.