[geeks] Zmodem inside of Telnet?

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Feb 25 14:33:38 CST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:
> I'm not sure where to even ask this question, so I'll start here.
>
> Is there a way to do a Zmodem transfer inside of a Telnet session?

Yes, if your telnet/ssh client supports it and you have rz/sz installed
on the remote system.

> Why, you may ask.

Not at all.  I've done this for years to send/rcv files from a remote
shell account without having to open an ftp session.

> I don't know of any tool that lets you start by establishing a telnet
> session then running some program inside of it to do a file transfer.
>
> Is there anything like this out there?

I haven't done it from a unix workstation, but from a peecee
running windoze or OS/2 I use ZOC as my telnet and ssh client.

> Oh, one last thing.  This would be nice to do this way as we have an
> event that would have us doing several simultaneous transfers (different
> remote systems), and I'd rather not have to configure several systems
> each with their own modems.  And no, the remote systems aren't
> networked, and no I can't just add a program to them (heck, I'd need
> this solution to get the program to them :)

ZOC is fully scriptable.

-DanD

# If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We
# might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. -DEEP THOUGHTS